Pacific Grove, Cannery Row, and Limpets
We visited Pacific Grove (PG to the locals) and learned
quite a bit about the tide pools, butterflies, the wildflowers.
I devoted a small sketchbook to the trip
which was one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever done.
I bought a copy of Cannery Row and in chapter 6
"Doc was collecting marine animals in The Great Tide Pool
on the tip of the Peninsula." and John Steinbeck goes on to
describe all the creatures Doc sees so I was inspired to draw them.
I had no idea what a limpet or a nudibranch was
before I read about them.
The tide was heading out so we saw quite a few creatures in the
Asilomar tide pools, mainly crabs that were fighting sideways.
The boardwalk was busy and really nice to walk on. Bordered with
many colorful wildflowers and other plants.
The coastal ice plant was still in bloom in spots and some
refer to it as "magic carpet" for the bright blooms in spring.
It was initially planted to stabilize the soil along the
railroad and highways but it has since taken over and
deprives the other plants of what they need.
I think it's fun to watch some people in their own little digital world
taking selfies and seem to forget they are at a beautiful beach.
Rush, rush, rush!
However, as I was perched on my rock sketching, this
beautiful woman in what appeared to be a sari and hijab
walked out by the water and then
went back up to the sand to kneel down and pray.
I thought that was a wonderful way to
enjoy the ocean.
And one more who could relax and enjoy himself.
Long enough for me to get a quick sketch in.
Next month the butterflies should be heading to the
Monarch Grove Sanctuary.
Pacific Grove is nicknamed "Butterfly Town"
While we were visiting there were signs all around
"Slow Down it's Fawning Season"
When we walked to get some coffee
we saw several tiny spotted fawns with their mothers
getting their breakfast.
Unafraid and curious.



.jpg)






Comments
Post a Comment