Burros, Mazuma, and a Cemetery


We explored out near Lovelock at Mazuma which was one of the mines
in the Seven Troughs area. Mazuma is said to be a Yiddish slang word for money.
Mazuma is known for the cloudburst that created a 
massive wall of water that destroyed the town in July of 1912.
There are lots of burros that live in the area still. I've been able to take pictures of many over the years and they've always
been very quiet and just look right at me with curiosity. 
 Today, I encountered one who grunted at me and let me 
know her boundaries (I assume she was female . . .) 
Another one peeked over the hill as I walked back down 
to make sure I was well on my way. 


Lots of black angus in the area, too.  The burros and the cattle all
look robust so I assume there is enough for them to eat.  


This card is an illustration of my imagined ranch in the area. I drew it in sepia 
thinking how it may have been a hundred years ago on a stormy day in spring.
I made it into a thinking of you and missing you card.


We went over to Tunnel, which is right next too Mazuma, and still has 
quite a few buildings still standing. 


Sometimes these old places seem like the people who occupied them
have just left.  This small shack had a man's clothes hanging on nails.
Several shirts and these long johns that have become brittle over time.
Maybe he just washed them and they were hanging to dry.
 But where did he go without his clothes . . . 
  


On our way out of town we stopped by the cemetery.  Lots of people seem to stop and leave something.  My husband left a few pennies.  There are tins of little things people have left and you can sign a paper to note where you are from.  
There are shiny plastic bead necklaces on the crosses.  
The burros have left a little something, too.   

Comments

Popular Posts