State Bird Watercolor Illustration Series


Continuing my state bird series, I found Nevada and Idaho both chose the Mountain Bluebird.  Idaho chose the Syringa or Mock-Orange for the state flower. I like 
illustrating white flowers trying to mix a subtle grey-lavender for the shadow colors and still leaving most of the flower white to make it stand out. 


The State Bird of Washington is the American Goldfinch also known as Willow Goldfinch and Eastern Goldfinch.  The school children of Washington chose the bird in 1951.  The pink rhododendron "rhodie" was selected for the state flower by the ladies throughout the state. I like how those were chosen. 


The State Bird of Oregon is the lovely Western Meadowlark.  This bird was also chosen by the state's school children and is the only state symbol not selected by the state legislature.  The State Flower is the Oregon Grape, which is not a flower but an evergreen shrub.  The berries are edible and some use them in alternative medicine.


One of my favorite birds is the California Quail, the State Bird of California.  
I love how a male will perch on my backyard fence, fluff his feathers, and make his call. 
It seems like he's saying to his mate, "Honey, where are you!"  Funny birds.

Comments

Popular Posts